Monday, February 29, 2016

Everything's Superlative!!!!!!

Does every sentence end with an exclamation point?

One of the big changes that happened during the time that I worked in a Preschool (from 1987-1997) is how simple went to complicated. Everything was a production. While our product was very reasonable (one of my jobs was to compare with other schools in the area), parents learned to expect more for their dollar. They wanted the big parties and projects and field trips.

I believe we taught the best curriculum available at that time. It still may be the best, I have been out the “business” for a while. And parents DID care about what their children were learning. But we went from simple Christmas programs in 1987 to full scale costumed productions in 1997. The teachers got COLA raises, but that was all. The costs of these productions came from the budget, which I managed, and in-kind giving.

Looking back, I think it was a symptom of society. While today the new movement is toward “simple living” to which I certainly try to ascribe, back then there was a movement of going from simple to complicated in everything. It was not just about preschool.

For the love of everything holy,
who really does this stuff?
Well, I’m not going to change history, but there is one thing that I have noticed today, especially on social media. Just about every other sentence ends in an exclamation point. If someone says “Happy Birthday, Denise” without an exclamation point at the end of it, I won’t be offended, but I do notice. I am happy to be noticed on my birthday, but this is not just about me.

Scroll down your Facebook feed this evening and count them. Outside of the recipes that fill my feed that I am gaining weight from looking at them, about every other post has some kind of exclamation in it. The post itself and then many of the comments beneath.

Nothing is ordinary anymore. Even in our communication. Everything is “the most.” Superlative.

I’m not going to change society and neither are you. I just want you to notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment